Sunday, April 24, 2016

Those Wretched, Long Toenails

Every time I clip my toenails there is an unbearable screech that can be heard for miles around. It is a tremendous force that shakes me to my core. It does not, however, come from me. Nor does it come from my toenails – which, arguably, could be consider a part of me that I've cut off. Regardless, the screech is incredibly painful.

Yet, what is a person to do? Don't cut the toenail and they grow to such a long length that feet become painful, or they can curl around and make walking unpleasant.

There is something so pleasant about ridding myself of those pesky hard shells. There is, perhaps, a reminder that things change in a rather nonchalant and unnoticed way. We don't feel the nails growing. There isn't any real problem with them until they've grown too long, but then there is a real problem with them.

That screech, though. That bloody fucking screech. It feels like it will never end even though it lasts for seconds. The screech is so loud that it is deafening, painful, and borderline killer.

There is something about it that I miss once I stop clipping those damn things, though. Maybe it is that the sounds feel like home. I'd like the say it is the action itself but I know that isn't true. I find it rather dull, to be completely honest.

Maybe it is that satisfaction I feel after the screeches stop.

Actually, I'm sure that is what it is. There is a feeling of accomplishment every time that wretched sound is cleansed from my ears. It is like I've had some grand successful mission, a huge accomplishment that only a minor amount of people have been able to complete.


Truthfully, though, it just feels like letting go of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment