Friday, May 6, 2016

The Bones in the Alleyway

There is something so peaceful as one gazes back in time.  Sure, emotions arise from the past events.  Sure the nasty things we went through pop into those memory lanes, but it is peaceful.

When I stare down those dark and abandoned alleyways, littered with the remains of past lives, lovers, and those who got in the way, I know that I've cleared a path all my own and on my own.  The accomplishment is mine.

The trick is, of course, to not stare for too long.  The peacefulness wears off when bones start being picked up.  It is hard to sit in the comfy chair while crying over the spilled milk of yesteryears.

The watch on my wrist doesn't stop moving, either.  Today may be a bad enough day that recalling the turmoil of the past makes me feel better, more accomplished, and like I'm moving forward in life, but tomorrow may be missed entirely.

So I'll massage my own feet before sleep tonight.  They'll be ready for a thousand steps tomorrow.  Who knows, maybe the following day will have me seeing these bones.

-Dustin S. Stover
Kindle: Happiness in a Void of Darkness
Nook: Happiness in a Void of Darkness

No comments:

Post a Comment