Thursday, October 8, 2015

Relationships - Oh, Whoa, Whoa - Relationships

I've worn on my sleeve, too many times, the pain of my past. I kept it there for the distinct ability to remind myself to deal with it, or while I dealt with it. I spent years sifting through those moments to gain as much from them, to grow as much as I could from them. It was a great deal easier, I feel, than facing other people in similar emotionally draining situations in which they do nothing to alter their predicament.

Now, however, I feel as though I'm being smothered by this very thing that is completely out of my hand.

It should come as no surprise that I've witnessed very minimal good relationships, and taken part in even fewer. Good moments, sure. Happy moments that kept people – even myself – holding on to dying or dead connections, absolutely. I've never, however, seen a combination of two people over the course of an extended period of time in which the two people remained steadily happy and flourishing.

I suppose that is the one thing that has shaped my mindset from a psychological standpoint in regards to human interactions.

I've been told more times than I could ever care to count that two people are happy, that they work together extremely well, and that they couldn't imagine a life better with anyone else. Isn't that, by default, a bit of a narrow minded perspective?

Let me just examine little more than a statistical perspective. I'm currently 31 years old. I've not traveled even 10% of the amount that I would have liked to have done thus far in my life, and I doubt that number goes up much higher considering the more I travel the more I want to travel. Anyway, I digress. My point being, if I've only experienced 10% of what I want to in terms of simple locations in this world then let's just assume that I've not experienced even 10% of the TYPES of people in any given location I've been to, and I'd say that it should be noted that I'm very introverted, thus, probably narrowing that percentage down to a low single digit – if not less than a single full digit. Fuck it, the statistics are too hard to keep up with.

Assuming this holds true then how could I ever believe that I've found the perfect person for me already in my life? Or, hell, anyone at all in this world?

Then there is a much deeper and complex variable to add to this. The variable of change. Every event that we encounter in our life adds an altered perspective to how we live and perceive. Monumental events like deaths of loved ones all the way to getting coffee at an abnormal time of the day which causes a car accident can have extreme changes to perception.

Perception, then, is the most common factor in how we live from day to day. Even a minor detail in my perception can have a ripple effect that alters how I perceive a loved one. It is all dynamically interconnected, and given every day being a host of more experiences than we can possibly fathom then it should come as no surprise as to how frequently we, as humans, change.

Of course, some people need routines and stick to them with unwavering forcefulness. A slight hiccup in that previously mentioned coffee schedule could throw their entire emotional stability for the day out of whack – you should probably avoid dating those people anyway, but again, I digress. These people also seem to be the ones, from my personal experience, looking to close that gap of loneliness as quickly as possible and try to hold onto those relationships as tightly as possible – lying to not only other people about how happily engaged they are with their lover, but also lying to themselves.

I suppose at this point I should reveal my great epiphany of a solution, but the reality is that I don't have any such resolution. I'm of the firm belief that, at least for me, there are relationships that work for now and possibly for an extended period of time. That time frame could last for months or decades, I just simply don't know until I give them a try (which is probably why I've held so many relationships with such a wide variety of lovers).


I do know a couple things, however. The first thing that I know is that I never want to stop growing as a person. I never want my life to dull down into a hum-drum routine that makes my life feel more like stale, moldy bread than having the next day feel as though it could offer a great new adventure to learn from. Secondly, I know that I probably make the worst boyfriend in the entire world.

-Dustin S. Stover

For more reading by me, here's my collection of short stories for your reading pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment